You're having difficulty chewing. What in the world could that mean? It could be something very minor. Maybe you slept funny on your pillow and it's going to take a day for your bite to work out and then it's all over again. A lot of times, patients have difficulties, and then when they make it into the office, the difficulty's gone. That's exasperating, but if you're having trouble chewing and it lasts more than a couple of days, then it's probably a good idea to have it checked out. What are the possibilities? You could be grinding your teeth at nighttime. You could be clenching your teeth at nighttime. You could be clenching your teeth during the day when you're concentrating on your work or some serious project. You may have bitten into something hard, not today, but it was some time ago, and it started a crack in the tooth and now it's just beginning to show symptoms. If you do have a crack in your tooth, we need to take a look at it. We can do some testing to find out if that in fact is the case. A lot of times, it has something to do also with thermal sensitivity. You might have cold sensitivity. You might have hot sensitivity. The funny thing is, it won't happen every time you chew. It's occasional. That really is the sign of a cracked tooth. The fix for that generally is a crown. That's something that we can do very quickly for you and get you comfortable again.
- Can make you self-conscious about your smile
- Can make it difficult to chew your food
- Can make it tough to speak clearly
- Can cause bone loss over time, weakening your jaw
Fortunately, Dr. Jennifer Perkins offer restorative dentistry Huntsville, AL area, that can relieve your pain and return your teeth to health! Call Jennifer Perkins, DDS at 256-801-0002 for a consultation.
Restorative Services to Repair Your Smile
Dr. Jennifer Perkins can use these restorative dentistry services to fix your dental damage:
- Tooth fillings. If Dr. Perkins finds a cavity, she’ll carefully remove all the decay from your tooth and place a tooth-colored filling.
- Dental veneers. Though often used as cosmetic dental treatments, dental veneers can also strengthen teeth by covering minor cracks or chips.
- Dental inlays and onlays. These treatments are appropriate to fix problems that are too severe for a tooth filling but not severe enough for a dental crown.
- Dental crowns. Dental crowns cover your entire tooth, restoring the appearance and protecting it against further damage.
In some cases, it may make more sense to gently remove a damaged tooth and then replace it with one of these dental options:
- Dental bridges. These dental restorations can replace a single missing tooth or several adjacent missing teeth.
- Dental implants. These tooth replacements look, feel, and function very much like your own teeth. They can be combined with different types of restorations, including dental crowns, dental bridges, or dentures.
Easing Your Anxiety With Oral Conscious Sedation
If you’re worried about any of these dental procedures, we can provide you with a sedative to ease your dental anxiety. You will receive medication to take at a predetermined time before your appointment. You’ll arrive relaxed and remain that way throughout the procedure!
Dr. Jennifer Perkins obtained her DDS from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis. She is also a member of many professional organizations such as the Academy of General Dentistry, American Dental Association, Alabama Dental Society, Huntsville-Madison County Dental Society, and Eighth District Dental Society. After 22 years of practicing dentistry, she’s still excited to help patients restore their oral function and give them their dream smile.
For more information on restorative dentistry, call Jennifer Perkins, DDS Huntsville, AL area dental office at 256-801-0002. Or use our online form to make your restorative dentistry Huntsville, AL area appointment at our Huntsville, AL dental office.